The development of Huntsville on the bluff above “Hunt’s Spring began with the settling in and incorporation of the town in 1805.  Starting from the earliest days, the affluent residents came to Monte Sano to escape the summer heat. The first permanent (non Indian resident) came to Huntsville from Fairfax, VA in 1808. He purchased a large tract of land on the north end of the mountain and built his bride a house in 1815.

In 1814, Dr. Thomas Fearn and his brother (a prominent Huntsville physician and a member of the Methodist Episcopal church) planned a real estate development which by 1827 evolved into a health colony where he promoted the medicinal benefits of the spring water and clean mountain air.  The mountain soon became known as  Monte Sano from the Latin words “mount” and “sanitos” for health.

In the early 1800’s, the Methodist Church was served by Circuit Riders. These “Itinerant Ministers were appointed to one station, but also served in several locations.  This often required long journeys on horseback over difficult terrain in all kinds of weather.

In 1826, the Tennessee Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church appointed the Reverend James Rowe to the Methodist Episcopal Church Huntsville Station.  After one year, Reverend James Allen took over this circuit.

Reverend Rowe returned in 1828 to fulfill his second appointment to the church.  He was also married the next year.   By 1830, he had resigned 

from the conference and he and his wife, Malinda opened  Monte Sano Female College.  The establishment of the college increased the population on the mountain. In 1833, the town of Vuduta was established. It was mainly a summer retreat for the wealthy.

The first record to have a church on Monte Sano was in 1892 On February 23, 1892, Episcopal Bishop Jackson laid the cornerstone for a building that was to be  an Episcopal mission.  Stone walls were laid up to about six feet.  The building was never completed. A stone marker that is presently located on the right of the sidewalk at the entrance of Monte Sano United Methodist Church is the only evidence we have of an earlier church on the mountain.  The church never existed.

On December 12, 1896, Sidney J. Mayhew sold The Trustees of the Monte Sano Union Chapel a small parcel of land for $1.00 and other considerations.  A little white church was built on a 40 ft. x 75ft. lot on the northeast corner of Lot No. 26 on the plat of Viduta  The little white church by the side of the road was a landmark on the Boulevard for more than 60 years. The church remained non-denominational and had no regular minister assigned. The financial depression had it’s effect on Monte Sano and by 1930, Monte Sano Union Church closed.

History Pg 2